As a leading law firm in Oman, we are committed to contributing to the community in which we live and work. We feel keenly the obligation to share our knowledge and skills as lawyers to provide educational opportunities, support and improved access to justice for the diverse communities that make up the fabric of Omani society.
Our key focus is the education of young people who are our future. Our aim is to contribute to their advancement in a meaningful, sustainable way through:-
Training, internships and career guidance
The Firm has for many years offered legal training and work experience to Omani nationals and as well as young people from many other countries around the world. In particular:-
- The firm has nurtured a record number of young Omani lawyers through its traineeship programme. As a result of the training and work experience gained at AMJ, many of our Omani lawyers have gone on to secure positions in the judiciary, leading companies and government organisations. The firm has received recognition from the Omani government for its Omanisation, training and development efforts.
- Throughout the year, we welcome a number of law under-graduates, school-leavers and work-placement students to AMJ’s offices to gain experience and a valuable insight into how a law firm operates, not only in relation to the role of lawyers, but also to the many other careers that can be pursued in law firms such as IT, marketing and business development and practice management.
- Our lawyers attend events at secondary schools and universities to provide career advice and guidance to students thinking about further education or considering a legal career.
Let’s Read Initiative
AMJ has pledged its whole-hearted support for the Let’s Read campaign, a non-profit initiative with the goal of promoting the love of reading among children in Oman. This initiative was set up in 2007 under the umbrella of renowned Omani charity Dar Al Atta’a to rekindle and foster good reading habits among the young. In the common interest of education and investment in young people, the firm is delighted to contribute to the funding of Let’s Read ambitious programme of activities in 2013 and 2014. These include:-
- the launch and operation of Let’s Read’s ‘Maktabati’ Bus, an ambitious and ‘first of its kind’ mobile library designed to bring a wide range of books to children around the country;
- setting up play rooms, libraries and reading areas for children in hospitals, schools, nurseries and other institutions in Oman;
- organising and publishing contributions to an annual Children’s Writing Competition;
- holding story-telling sessions and a monthly book sale.
Community support projects
While we firmly believe that achieving positive change demands a long-term, collaborative approach along the lines of the firm’s support for Let’s Read, we also have a long track-record of active community service and pro bono work of which we are proud.
- Sponsorship of the ‘Let’s Read’ Big Book Day 2013 and awards ceremony for the winners of the 7th Writing Competition in which more than 700 students participated from 29 schools throughout the country.
- Sponsorship of a football team event in the Muscat Community Football League, a volunteer-run, non-profit organisation that unites a multi-national community of childen of all ages to play football.
- Sponsorship of a charity music event ‘Lets Rock’, organised by the Indian School Muscat for the benefit of the Sultan Qaboos University Hospital Children’s Cancer ward.
- Donation to the Al Amana initiative for disadvantaged, low-income groups in Oman.
- Sponsorship of British School Muscat’s fashion show in support of local charities.
- Sponsorship of the American British Academy’s annual ball fundraiser to develop the school.
Pro bono work is one of the key ways that we support the community. As lawyers, we have the privilege of helping people to access their legal rights and justice and are committed to helping not-for-profit organisations that work for the public interest, as well as the individuals they refer to us who cannot afford legal advice and assistance. Our pro bono work also provides personal and professional development for our people giving them insight into the world outside business law, and also the opportunity to make a positive difference to the lives of others.
For more information on AMJ’s activities in the community, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org