Bars and Courts
Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales, 2011
Barrister of the Bar Council of England & Wales 2010
Advocate of the High Courts of Pakistan, 2008
BPP Law School; Qualified Lawyers’ Transfer Test 2011
BPP Law School; Bar Vocational Course 2010
BPP Law School; Post-graduate Diploma in Law 2009
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, USA; BA (Economics and Finance) 2000
T: + 968 2481 4466
F: + 968 2481 2256
Energy and Natural Resources
Asad is a senior associate in AMJ’s Corporate/Commercial department. He has more than 14 years’ experience advising clients on Islamic finance, capital market, energy and natural resource and general corporate and commercial transaction in the United Kingdom, Pakistan and Oman. Asad has particular expertise advising listed and private companies on their debt and equity financings (conventional and Islamic) acquisitions and disposals of hydrocarbon assets (onshore and offshore) and negotiating clients’ commercial contracts across the globe including in the United Kingdom, Canada, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, the Middle East and Africa.
Prior to joining AMJ in January 2015, Asad worked in the Corporate, Banking, Energy, and Capital Markets teams of niche, London-based law firm, Kerman & Co. LLP. He is qualified both as a barrister of England and Wales and a solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales. He is also qualified as an advocate of the High Courts of Pakistan.
Representative transactions include:
- Acting for the joint lead managers on Oman’s debut sovereign sukuk issuance.
- Advising a leading bank in Oman on its musharaka transactions involving acquisition and management of commercial properties.
- Advising a global asset management business on an ijarah muntahiya bi tamleek facility with a leading Islamic bank.
- Advising an Islamic bank on its parallel istisna’a facility for the financing of a housing development.
- Advising on a number of sukuk issuances undertaken by various energy and power companies in Pakistan.
Representative transactions prior to joining AMJ include:
- Acting as lead associate on the acquisition of a private company incorporated in Kazakhstan owning iron ore assets with an estimated resource value of approximately US$3.5 billion.
- Advising, as sole and lead associate, a UK incorporated public listed company on its mandatory takeover by a Malaysia based conglomerate.
- Advising international clients with respect to their debt and equity fundraising aggregating to US$250 million in order to finance projects including copper, zinc, iron, gold and diamond mines, oil and gas interests and palm oil.